This recipe produces a shortbread with lots of texture, chewy on the inside and crisp and crumbly on the outside. It is really a cross between shortbread and flapjack.
Ingredients for one 8 inch (20 cm) round sandwich tin
100g each of softened butter, caster sugar, plain flour and porridge oats
- Cream the butter and sugar until soft.
- Add the flour and porridge oats, mix well until fully combined, it will still be crumbly.
- Press down with the back of a tablespoon until level in the tin and mark the out edge with the back of a fork.
- Bake gas mark 3 or 160 C for 25 - 30 minutes until light brown and smelling fantastic.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar.
- Loosen carefully around the edge and mark the pieces with a knife. leave to cool in the tin.