We aim to provide a warm welcome for visitors and locals alike whilst sharing our love of good food and living a sustainable lifestyle

 
 

broccoli grows well at doune

broccoli grows well at doune

the galley hydro on knoydart

the galley hydro on knoydart

 

Gardening at Doune

With high winds and a short growing season, Knoydart presents a significant gardening challenge. With good use of wind netting and two large polytunnels we have plenty of scope to grow a significant amount of the fruit and vegetables that we eat. By focussing on items which do not travel well by boat and on winter vegetables when boat trips are rarer, we can significantly improve the quality of our diet.

We also keep chickens and a cockerel and enjoy our own eggs and hopefully our own chicks this year. 

 
 

Renewables at doune

We are seldom short of water on Knoydart so using hydro power makes sense. Together with some solar panels it provides 90% of all the electricity that we need. The remaining 10% must be made using a generator, and as all the diesel fuel needed for this has to brought in by boat it is good to keep its use to a minimum.